Alibi in AshesEdit
When the old Town Hall burns down in 2011, Alexei is on the scene, since he was trying to find the time capsule and open it, since it was going to be opened at the end of that year's Clues Challenge. However, he thinks it has burned up when the town hall burns down.
The time capsule later turns up, though, and the magnifying glass is inside it, finally clearing his name. Alexei is invited to be the main curator when the town hall is rebuilt into a museum about River Heights.
- "I was happy, but one time, just once, I tried to speak truth to power, and man if I didn't pay the price."
- "I don't like you."
- "She's on the city council, so she's either corrupt or deeply immersed in the corrupting process. ((Nancy: Not everyone in politics is corrupt.)) Seriously? Where's your youthful cynicism? Yes, all politicians are corrupt. Because they don't care about people like you and me. When they're running for office, we're just votes to buy. Once they're elected, we're just collateral damage for whatever or whomever's buying them off."
- "When you make it your business to tell the truth, you make a lot of people mad."
- "No case too big, no fee too small."
- "Oh, did you hear that, vase? She's sort that you made the long trek from China to Europe, where you survived two world wars and countless natural disasters- only to be unceremoniously kicked to death by some space cadet for no reason. Not that that matters now that you are dead!"
- "My life has been a cruel joke. Try as you might, it's hard not to let that influence your general mood."
- "Did he leave it behind to torment me? Possibly not. Is it tormenting me? Yes, yes it is."