Deirdre Shannon is a former classmate and rival of Nancy's from River Heights.
Deirdre is competing in the Clues Challenge with her not-exactly friends Jessica and Holly. Jealous that Nancy's team seems to be so far ahead, she follows Nancy to the old Town Hall, which burns down soon after. Among the few people at the scene of the crime, Deirdre is a suspect in the arson case.
She spends most of her time outside Scoop drinking shakes, writing in her notebook, and glaring at Bess. She is wryly amused that Nancy got arrested and tries to take the opportunity to flirt with Ned. Bess is supposed to be discreetly observing her, but without much success.
Deirdre reluctantly and snarkily helps Nancy over the phone since her criminology professor said that helping to solve an actual murder would make up for having someone else write one of her assignments.
Eventually, Deirdre admits that she was the one Victor Lossett contacted when he was trying to find the right bumbling detective who would send Ryan Kilpatrick to prison. When Deirdre said negative things about Nancy, this convinced Victor into hiring her, thinking Nancy would screw up and get Ryan imprisoned.
In the teaser trailer, Deirdre calls Nancy for help. She is scared, saying that her friend is in trouble and may not survive.
Deirdre is haughty, competitive, arrogant, and often bored. She is jealous of Nancy being so "perfect" and is sick of always coming in second, an attitude that is not helped by her parents' constant comparisons to her.
She doesn't seem to have many friends, claiming that her teammates in Alibi in Ashes, Jessica and Holly, are "kind of dumb" and mentions that they're still in their "ninety-day trial period." In fact, the only person she seems to be nice to is her crush Ned Nickerson. Nevertheless, she and Toni seem to be on friendly terms.
Deirdre has black hair, pale skin, and green eyes. In Alibi in Ashes, she wears a rose-colored headband complete with rose, small gold hoop earrings, a pale green tank top under a darker green shawl-type jacket, a simple gold bracelet on her left wrist, a dark skirt above the knee, and black sandals.
Alibi in Ashes Edit
- "Sigh. Nedstopher, that girl doesn't deserve you. But I'll help. Because I'm wonderful, right?
- "She's so perfect at everything. It's like- save a little for the rest of us. My parents are always bugging me- 'Why aren't you more like that Drew girl? She's in Whateveristan, just saved the blah blah blah from the who cares.' It gets old."
- "Deir-DRE. I know it's got that tricky second syllable, but I figured it out by age two. Don't give up. You'll get there."
- "Your boyfriend's cute, and you were in the clink. I think I'm blameless here."
- "That's cool. Just so you know, you do do a pretty great impression of someone who has recently burned down a building for no reason."
- "I do hate you. But I don't... hate you. It's complicated. I just truly enjoy hating you and I'd hate for something to happen that would throw off our equilibrium. Also, it's not fair."
- "That's it? No follow-up? What is this- good cop, no other cop?"
- "She probably speeds and never gets tickets because she's good-looking."
- "Because I was cheating. I thought we were all cheating."
- "Saw Bess, Ned & Nancy near the new town hall. Ned looking fantastic, everyone else looking tragically nerd."
- "I was in the United States of America, present day. True story."
- "Shouldn't you be baking her a cake with a saw in it?"
The Deadly Device Edit
- "If you're under fifty, why are you leaving me a message instead of a text? Oldsters, do what you gotta do."
- "Hey, you know, you should volunteer at one of those neurological study places, because you have been knocked out a lot, my friend."
- "I am not a sociopath. I just have appreciation for closure."
- "Oh, a nonspecific promise with the word someday... sounds too tempting to ignore. Yet, here I go."
- "Excuse me for not being some total creeper who knows how to crank out the fake body parts."
- "I don't know if we're buddies like that. I mean... I do know, and we're not."
- "Did you forget that I don't like you?"
- "Sometimes it's like you live on Mars."
- "Deeply ingrained narcissism. Gross incompetence. Chronic wrongness. Rushes to judgement... it sounds bad when I say it to you."
- "Just kidding! [Ned] won't pick up his phone."
Midnight in Salem Edit
- "Nancy. It's me, Deirdre. I know you're not exactly president of my fan club, but listen... I need your help."
- She may have stayed at the Ryokan Hiei. On the Ryokan's lobby computer, it says a Shannon stayed in room #26.
- Deirdre drives a red 2008 KRL Whistler.
- Deirdre seems to wear shades of green, perhaps alluding to her envy of Nancy.